Monday, February 23, 2009

Homework 2/23/09

Period 4
Read the following and respond (say how you feel about this posting. Do you agree or disagree?) to the questions.
Today, it was utterly incredible to see that 17 and 18 year old seniors, that claim to have a grasp on life and feel confident that they will succeed in "The Real World" once they graduate, are unable to understand the meaning of two simple words: Responsibility and Respect.
Responsibility is defined as the ability to respond or answer to the obligation of one's own conduct. This means that you would follow through with what is given to you to do. This means that if you have a task at hand, you will do what is necessary to get it accomplished. This sense of obligation is one of the essential factors in being successful in life. Therefore, it saddens me to see that the majority of my class today was unable to follow through with their part and were completely unashamed at their lack of responsibility. You may feel as though you are nearly done with the school year and that the tasks that are given to your are of little importance, but remember that you need this class to graduate and please remember that you live in community that enforces consequences; that you have to work the system; that nothing is given to you for free and that the cost for some of the privileges that you get are directly affected by your lack of responsibility in my class.
In addition, please realize that your giving half effort is also not going to get you success, it will give you the bare minimum. You may not be living on the streets, but if you continue with mediocre ideas, you will not be able to go above and beyond. You may finish high school, but will you live in a NICE house or will you live in a worn out house? That is the difference between getting by and being successful and the habits start here. So for those of you that felt that you could still get full credit points, for work that was put together at the last minute and for those of you that felt that getting your work done was a joke, I'm telling you (mostly because I care and because it's despicable to see) that that attitude is not going to get you far.
Respect is defined as: to regard as worthy of special consideration. This means that if someone has been nice to you and has not offended you in any way, that you would be inclined to regard that person as someone that you should treat nicely and fairly. By no means, do I expect to get special treatment or to be your favorite teacher, but I do ask that you give what EVERY teacher expects and that's Respect. It also bothered me that many of the students in class today felt as though I was playing, and I may be able to understand that it is because I am far too understanding, but if you want me to be mean and close minded and insensitive, please just let me know upfront and don't waste our time by being disrespectful. Your being rude, disrespectful and childish in class, takes away from the learning and chips away at my desire to teach you something. If you do not hold me worthy of the respect that I ask for, why should I go on teaching you or being your senior advisor or caring whether you pass my class or not, or caring whether you graduate or not? What motivation do I have to try to help students that do not think I am worthy of being RESPECTED?

Questions: How do you define Respect? How do you define Responsibility

Period 5
Finish the Renaissance Study Guide

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm Sorry.
J.C

Anonymous said...

Delilah Dupraz Period 4
Well, I would like to let you know I did realize I didn’t have the paper typed and ready, but I did do the work. ☺ I knew you were being serious yesterday and I felt bad I didn’t have it done on time. I could have had it done faster, but I was typing all the other scenes. I guess I thought we could get more points if we had more scenes. I know I need to work harder on getting things done on time. I need to get my grade up in your class. In order to do that, I need to get my work done on time. I am slowly doing better I think. I also would like to say I know I am being rude in class even when I am being quiet because I am not paying attention most of the time. So I would like to say sorry. ☺

Questions:
I define respect as showing you care, listening, being kind, and treating someone how I would like to be treated. I define responsibility as taking care of things yourself and getting things done on time.

Anonymous said...

Tony Burnett period 4

Well I know at time it may seem as if sum us do not care but in the long run we do. Well it may not be the same for others you and I will never be able to tell for sure. But me I know that I slipup up but that’s because of my living situation and my own fault. I think that some time I get a little lost as to what I was supposed to be doing. And that’s why I like you because u nag and gripe at me and yea sometimes I don’t like it. But it helps me in the long run and I know that I understand and appreciate very well what it is needed. Of me and wanted all I need is the guides of u and the push u been given me. you should stay teaching because it dose benefit some if not all u cant be superwoman all the time only to those who are open minded and those will prosper and sho0w off all the hard work you put into them and when the achieve there dream there going to look back and say it all because of you that’s why you should stay. It’s the satisfaction of knowing that your hard work would be put to something much greater....